WEST VIRGINIA SCHOOLS
FOR THE DEAF
AND THE BLIND
ROMNEY, WEST VIRGINIA
301 East Main Street
Romney, WV 26757
We are so thankful this year that we are able to partner with The West Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind. Their campus will allow us to open the festival up to more vendors and more activities. Here is a little history of the school. In 1870, the West Virginia Legislature established the Schools for the Deaf and the Blind in Romney. This followed an offer consisting of the buildings and the grounds of the Romney Literary Society. The first school term began Thursday, September 29, 1870, with an enrollment of twenty-five deaf and five blind students.
Through the years, additional buildings and grounds were added to accommodate the increasing enrollment. Currently the main campus consists of sixteen major buildings situated on 79 acres of land. The West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind hold a special place in the history of this state, this county and community. The school has been crucial in the economic development of this area, as well as the drawing card for many wonderful individuals and families who have come to call Romney their permanent home.
We are proud that the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind has provided quality educational services to more than four thousand eight hundred children. These schools continue to serve as a residential and day school program, and also offer expanded pre-school services and technical assistance throughout the state.